Hypnobirthing and water births often go hand in hand as there are many advantages to birthing in the water.
Some of the advantages of water birthing are:
- Relax during your last hours of pregnancy.
- Gentle motion in warm water can assist in the rotation of and descent of the baby’s head.
- Warm water is relaxing especially for the woman’s uterus and vagina. You are able to stretch and accomodate the baby more easily. Along with hypnobirthings lack of pushing there is less pain, reducing chance of episiotomy.
- Evidence shows being in warm water can lower the mother’s blood pressure during labor, helping to keep the baby out of distress.
- Water is very calming and peaceful, ideal for hypnobirthing.
- The perineal skin becomes softer and suppler, again reducing the chance of an episiotomy.
Amy Green, who blogs over at The Smallest Of Things gave birth in the water in 2014 and shares her story with us ….
I always knew I wanted to have a water birth from when I found out I was pregnant. With it being my first I didn’t really know what to expect but I’ve always found water soothing and often used to jump in the shower if I was in any sort of pain. I suffered with terrible SPD from quite early on and again water helped soothe it. Towards the end of my pregnancy my SPD made it uncomfortable to sit, lay or stand in certain positions! I’m so glad I chose a water birth!
So on the 1st March 2014 at about 2am I got my first contraction but then not another until about 4am so I thought nothing of it. I was due to be induced on the 2nd so I had kind of come round to the idea of never having my water birth I so badly wanted. But contractions got regular throughout the day and about 1am on the 2nd I headed to the hospital. Labour progressed quite quickly and by about 5:30am the pool was being run as I was fully dilated.
Getting into that pool was the most calming thing I’ve ever experienced. I was so warm and cosy and I just felt so at ease! I actually got so relaxed that my contractions stopped and I needed help to get them started again.
Unfortunately I can’t tell you that it took the pain away completely but I was so comfortable if that’s possible !