- the act of giving birth to a child in one’s own home
The home birth has become increasingly popular over the last few years. A very large percentage of hypnobirthing mums choose this location due to the increased comfort and relaxation that familiar surroundings will promote. This relaxed atmosphere perfectly compliments the hypnobirthing techniques and this can help your labour to progress more quickly. Many prospective parents dismiss the home birth but research shows that a planned home birth is perfectly safe for healthy women, having a normal pregnancy.
Some of the advantages include:
- You don’t have to make a decision about when to go to hospital or interrupt labour with a journey allowing you to slip into your hypnobirthing ‘state’ easily.
- You will probably be looked after by a small team of dedicated midwives who will have got to know you during your pregnancy, and they will also look after you in the days following the birth of your baby. Many hypnobirthing mums prefer the midwives to stay in another room!
- You will find labour less painful and are less likely to want strong pain-relieving drugs helping you to ‘breathe’ (not push) your baby into the world naturally.
- You are less likely to have medical interventions. (One study showed that planning a home birth halved the incidence of both assisted delivery and Caesarean birth)
- You won’t have to be separated from your partner after the birth promoting the essential bonding between parents and baby.
- If you have older children, you will not need to leave them.
Friends and family may look at you in horror but remember that every soon to be mum has the right to birth at home.