The first time I heard about birth affirmations, I have to admit to being a little sceptical but the theory of affirmations is to say them repeatedly so they become part of your subconsicous and ultimately a natural part of your birthing relaxation.
HypnoBirthing: The Mongan Method: A natural approach to a safe, easier, more comfortable birthing (3rd Edition) suggests repeating the affirmations below (amongst others) regularly throughout the last few months of pregnancy:
- I am relaxed and happy that my baby is coming to me.
- I am focused on a smooth, easy birth.
- I trust my body and I follow its lead.
- I feel confident. I feel safe. I feel secure.
- My muscles work in complete harmony to make birthing easier.
- I feel a natural tranquility flowing through my body.
- I relax as we move quickly and easily through each phase of birth.
- My baby is perfectly positioned for every phase of labor.
- I fully relax and turn my birthing over to nature.
- I feel my body gently sway with relaxation.
- I turn my birthing over to my baby and my body.
- My baby moves gently among its journey.
- Each surge of my body brings my baby closer to me.
- I deepen my relaxation as I move further into labor.
- My body is at ease.
- I welcome my baby with happiness and joy.
These are not all the suggested affirmations but I personally didn’t feel comfortable saying ones that talked about my cervix and womb but every mum to be is different and it makes sense to tailor your affirmations to the strength and confidence that you need.
I recall repeatedly saying “this is what my body is designed for” over and over again. I am quite sure that having confidence in my own body enabled me to have the birth I wanted.
Choosing the right affirmation for you is what will make them work. You have to be able to repeat them and believe in them, so that your belief becomes a reality.